Get Involved As A Hunter
Hunter Checklist (complete all 2 weeks prior to hunt)
SYC Iowa- Hunter Expectations
Thank you for choosing to hunt with SYC Iowa. We know you will have a blast exploring nature, making new friends, and learning new skills.
To best be prepare for the hunt we have put together a list of expectations for all Hunters and their families of what you can expect during your time with us:
- Safety is our top priority, and we take it very seriously. We all will be observing the hunters to make sure they aren’t getting over tired, too cold, too hungry or dehydrated. Please talk to us throughout the day and let us know if there is anything we can do to make you more comfortable. We have heaters, snacks, water etc. to make the hunt as comfortable for the hunter as possible
- The Blind/Stands: We will ensure your blind/stand has the needed chairs, stand, gun, ammo, snacks, drinks, heater, blankets, etc.
- The Gun: All guns are provided by SYC Iowa and every gun must go through a safety check prior to going out to hunt to ensure your hunter’s gun is sighted in properly. We will take care of mounting and un-mounting of gun, loading and unloading of gun, and transportation of gun, unless prior approval and clearance has been given by the Board.
- Ammo: The guides will keep the ammo in a safe location when in-between hunts.
- Pictures: All participants, parents, guardians, family, hunters, and guides will need to sign a photo release waiver( add link) prior to hunting. SYC Iowa will use photos for any legal use, including but not limited to: publicity, copyright purposes, illustration, advertising, marketing, social media and web content. SYC Iowa will capture as many important moments as possible for the hunt both in the field and at fellowship times and share with hunter and family. We encourage all to take pictures and share to the SYC Iowa Facebook page.
- Interaction and encouragement with others: SYC Iowa strongly encourages your hunter and family to connect with others and get involved with different activities during their free time. The commons area will have a games area of things to choose from e.g., playing cards, board games, campfire pit etc. Please take the time to get to know your fellow hunters and guides. Please join us in congratulating others on their hunt who did harvest an animal and encouraging those who might not have that opportunity yet.
- Coaching of the hunt: The guides and volunteers will coach the hunter about different expectations that can happen during the hunt.
- How far you will take a shot, who is going to call the animal, when it comes near to set up the shot, what are you going to say/do when you want them to take the shot.
- Any risk/danger situations need to be covered as well. E.g.: if you get a lethal shot on your animal stay in your blind until all other live animals have left (turkeys)
- In-State hunters:
- Buy your license for the season and SYC Iowa will reimburse your fees at the hunt.
- Out of State Hunters:
- SYC Iowa will purchase you license on your behalf.
- Turkeys, SYC Iowa will provide the basic tail feather mount which looks very nice. If the hunter wishes anything further, it will be at their own expense.
- Deer - SYC Iowa will cover the cost of per hunter of one deer shoulder mount (doe or buck). If the hunter wants anything special, it will be at their own expense.
Processing of Meat:
- SYC Iowa will provide all standard meat processing.
Schedule: (Click here)
- Schedule: Hunters, Guides and Volunteers, please follow the schedule and be ready. It is important to stay on track with the schedule. We want to be in the blinds and ready to hunt on time or we could miss the window of opportunity.
What to Bring:
Please bring clothing so that you can dress in layers. Plan for cold weather but be able to remove layers if needed. Bring warm underclothes (long underwear, socks, hats, etc.). For new hunters, we will provide camouflage pants, jackets, gloves, beanies and insulated boots. Bring a sleeping bag and pillow. If you are a returning hunter bring your SYC clothing and bible you received the first time. Please bring a cooler for you to store your animal after a successful hunt. We will be on some of the best private hunting land with experienced guides, but this is a fair chase hunt with no guarantees of harvesting an animal.
If you have any preferences/special requirements let us know. We will provide all meals and snacks.
We look forward to sharing this weekend with you. Remember to show your appreciation to your guides, as they are volunteering their time to give you the best experience. Let us know if you have any questions.
SYC Iowa Board